Is Mac and Cheese a childhood memory for you? It is for me, the creamy cheese sauce, trying to fit individual noodles onto my fork. But now as an adult I want to enjoy my favorite childhood meal as an adult meal.
I decide to spice this dish up by combining it with one of my other favorite snacks, jalapeno poppers. The spice from the jalapeno powder is the right amount of heat to balance the cheesy sauce. My mouth is already watering!
We won’t be using a boxed mac and cheese package for this dish, but instead, we will be whipping up our own cheese sauce. Don’t be intimidated, this recipe is easy to create and takes about the same amount of time as pre-packaged mac and cheese.
Mac and cheese is one of those dishes that can be either the main attraction or a side dish. Either way it is always welcome! I make this dish on a chilly nights, for potlucks or for the holiday get togethers. My friends and family request “that spicy mac n’ cheese”, as they love it as much as I do!
Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup Uncooked Macaroni
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 Cup White Cheddar Cheese or Sharp Cheese
- 1/4 cup Panko or Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder
- 1 cup Canned Jalapenos Chopped
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan and add flour.
- Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes stirring constantly to make a roux.
- Gradually add in a milk, whisking until smooth.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly until you reach desired consistency.
- Add in shredded cheddar cheese, and jalapeno powder and stir until the melted and smooth.
- Add drained macaroni to sauce and stir until coated. Stir in jalapenos.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs or panko and broil in the oven for a crispier finish.
Did you enjoy the Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese? Let us know in the comments.
Looking for other ways to add spicy peppers to your meals? Visit the Sonoran Spice Blog, we have recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack time, and last but not least dessert!