Thai Soup is extremely flavorful and nutritious. It is creamy and comforting, however, I wanted to take it up a notch with Sonoran Spice Trinidad Scorpion Flakes. See how I take this soup to the next level.
Also, know as Tom kha kai, Thai soup is made with coconut milk, fish, and chicken. In this recipe I am taking a vegan approach, making this meal ready in less than 30 minutes. Full of veggies and spices this meal is delightful for any season, this soup can be enjoyed both hot and cold.
To give our soup density we are adding sweet potato, this sweet veggie along with the coconut milk helps provide balance to the Sonoran Spice Trinidad Scorpion Flakes.
Trinidad Scorpion is the second hottest pepper in the world, first place is currently held by Carolina Reaper. The Trinidad Scorpion pepper measures around, 2,009,231 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), compared to a Jalapeno which ranges between 2,500 and 8,000 SHU. Needless to say, a little of Trinidad Scorpion goes a long way!
Many other benefits of Tom kah kai, Coconut milk aids with weight loss and provides our bodies with electrolytes. Curry paste, can help the body detox and help prevent you from catching the flu. And, Garlic, found in many dishes, can improve cholesterol and lower your blood pressure.
This tasty dish is one that I enjoy making, it is delicious and like I mentioned before so comforting!
Spicy Thai Soup
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 small Sweet Potato
- 940 ml Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 380 ml Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 100 g Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Lime
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sonoran Spice Trinidad Scorpion Flakes
- Lightly oil the bottom of a soup pot. Add minced garlic and curry paste and stir until aromatic.
- Add broth and chopped sweet potatoes.
- Cover on low to medium heat until potatoes are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, boil water and cook pasta 3 minutes or so then drain and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are tender add the coconut milk and brown sugar.
- Stir and taste and adjust flavoring to your liking (add salt or more sugar, if desired.
- Turn the heat on low and add the noodles and stir.
- Top with red onion, lime, peanuts, cilantro and Scorpion Flakes.