I’ve always loved mushrooms. They can be added to any type of food – in salads, in pasta, with rice, etc. But I also like having them just by themselves. With a little bit of imagination, you can turn them into something quite special.
I cooked some oyster mushrooms today, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh thyme on a griddle pan – they look just like chicken. Even their texture is quite similar. Their taste is phenomenal.
This quick and easy vegan oyster mushrooms recipe is perfect if you do not want to spend your whole night in the kitchen making dinner. If you are very hungry you could just make this as a quick appetizer to go along with an even heartier meal such as my Spicy Vegan Potato Recipe.
I had them with my favorite sweet chili sauce that I made using Sonoran Spice Bird’s Eye Chili Flakes. I add a garnish of lemon wedges on the side to brighten up the flavors a little more.
Oyster Mushrooms “Chicken” with Sweet Chili Sauce
For the Oyster Mushroom “Chicken”:
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the sweet chili sauce:
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sonoran Spice Bird’s Eye Chili Flakes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Cut or tear the mushrooms by hand into long stripes.
- Season them with the salt, black pepper, fresh thyme, garlic and a drizzle of oil.
- Cook them on a hot griddle pan for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile you can start with the sweet chili sauce.
- Add the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan or any deep pan that you have, except the starch.
- Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes and now add the cornstarch.
- Cook for another minute until it becomes a bit richer in color and a lot thicker.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool down – this will thicken it a bit more.
- Serve and enjoy!