Bibimbap is a Korean dish that consists of a bowl of warm rice topped with sauteed and fresh vegetables. It’s also accompanied by a nice spicy sauce, soy sauce, etc. Usually, it’s served with some type of meat and a fried egg on top, but we prepared a vegan version for you. We substituted the meat with grilled oyster mushrooms, you can always add meat to the dish to create the full version. Although the most common meat used in bibimbap is beef, you can get creative and add whatever meat you’d like!
If you want to get this recipe just right, make sure you cook the rice to perfection! Make sure that you fluff the rice when it’s finished cooking, rather than mixing and smashing it together. Another key ingredient to this recipe is having a good spicy sauce. You can make your own or use a store-bought sauce, it’s totally up to you!
The name “Bibimbap” came from two different Korean words. In Korean, “bibim” refers to the mixing of various ingredients and “bap” refers to the rice in the dish. Put those two together and you have this delicious dish!
- 150 gr Rice
- 50 gr Carrots
- 50 gr Cucumbers
- 150 gr Oyster Mushrooms
- 100 gr Fresh Spinach
- 100 gr Red Cabbage
- Sesame Seeds
- Fresh Onion
- 100 gr Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Using a small pot, add the basmati and 300 ml of water.
- Season with salt and put on the heat.
- As soon as it starts boiling, put the lid on, lower the heat, and let simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- When the water has evaporated, you can take it off the heat and let it stay covered for another 15 minutes.
- This way of cooking will give you as a result fluffy and delicious rice.
- While the rice is cooking – cut the cucumbers and carrots into strips. Cut fine stripes of the red cabbage as well.
- Grill the mushrooms for about 5-6 minutes, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Cook the spinach the same way and sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blitz until smooth.