I started creating this dish as a holiday side dish. In the beginning, my family was apprehensive, Brussel Sprouts, squash, and syrup on top? And then Habanero flakes on top?
The flavor combo of the spicy peppers and the sweet maple syrup were delicious! By roasting the veggies they had a nice crunchy outside but a softcore. The bacon bits and pecans add good texture contrast to the dish. My family was delightfully surprised, win for me!
Now outside of being delicious, this dish is jam-packed with vitamins. Both Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash have an extremely high vitamin count. The Habanero Flakes have their own health benefits too, they are full of capsaicin. Capsaicin has several health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting properties.
Now, this dish is not only delicious and good for you but it is easy to create. You can cube the veggies yourself, or check your grocery store, they might have fresh pre-cut Brussel Sprouts and Squash! During the holidays grabbing the pre-cut veggies is a huge time saver.
Spicy Brussel Sprouts & Squash Recipe
Roasted Sweet and Spicy Brussel Sprout & Squash
- Baking tray
- Parchment Paper
- Frying pan
- 7 oz Butternut Squash peeled and cubed
- 8.5 oz Brussel Sprout Cut in half
- 3 strips Bacon Cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup Pecan Roughly chop
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Pure maple syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Sonoran Spice Habanero Flakes
- 1 Tsp Paprika Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Place cubed squash and butternut squash into the tray. Drizzle a little bit of oil all over the top and season with salt and paprika powder. Give it a quick toss with your hands to make sure vegetables are coated evenly with the seasonings, arrange in a single layer.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until squash and brussels sprouts are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon pieces halfway, set to the side until needed.
- After roasting for 15 minutes, remove vegetables from the oven and sprinkle cooked bacon, pecan, Habanero Flakes, and maple syrup. Gently stir to combine and arrange in a single layer.
- Return to the oven and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Enjoy immediately!
Did you enjoy creating this dish? Not sure how to add supper spicy peppers into your meals? Check out the Sonoran Spice Blog. We have dishes ranging from game day appetizers to entrees.