There’s nothing like a hot bowl of chili with an oven-fresh side of cornbread, one of the top comfort foods. Perfect for cold rainy days, cozy up on the sofa and enjoy a warm bowl of chili. Adding Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder to the cornbread and chili adds a special touch.
One of the earliest recordings of the American Chili was in 1828, in San Antonio Texas. There are many variations of how chili can be created. Let’s not forget the side, in our case warm jalapeno honey cornbread, yum! You can use other sides such as tortilla chips, tortillas, and even spaghetti noodles.
Adding some jalapeno powder shares a mild heat to the dish. These peppers generally measure between 2,500 and 8,000 Scoville Heat Units. Try to top your chili with a side of sour cream, grated cheese, or by adding fresh jalapeno slices.
Jalapeno Honey Cornbread Chili Recipe
Jalapeno Honey Cornbread with Chili
- 9×9 baking pan
- Medium mixing bowl
- Medium cooking pot
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika Powder
- 1 1/2 cup Beef Broth
- 1 cup Canned Crushed Tomato
- 15 oz Canned Kidney Beans
- 7 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan, set aside.
- Add together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and jalapeno powder into a medium-size bowl. Give a quick stir to mix everything.1 cup All-Purpose Flour, 1 cup Cornmeal, 1/4 cup Sugar, 1 tbsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder
- Add in whipping cream, oil, honey, and eggs, stir to combine. Do not over mix.1 cup Whipping Cream, 1/4 cup Honey, 2 Eggs, 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Add oil to a medium-size pot over medium heat. Add in onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.1 tbsp Oil, 1 Medium Onion
- Add in ground beef, break-in using a wooden spoon, cook for 5-6 minutes or until the beef is browned, stirring constantly.1 lb Ground Beef
- Add the jalapeno powder, cumin, tomato paste, garlic powder, and paprika powder to the pot. Stir until well-combined.1 tbsp Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder, 1 tbsp Cumin, 2 tbsp Tomato Paste, 1 tbsp Garlic Powder, 1 tbsp Paprika Powder
- Add in beef broth, crushed tomato, kidney beans, and tomato sauce, give a quick mix. Bring mixture to boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove fro1 1/2 cup Beef Broth, 1 cup Canned Crushed Tomato, 15 oz Canned Kidney Beans, 7 oz Tomato Sauce
- Cut cornbread to squares and enjoy it with a bowl of chili topped with sour cream and grated cheese.
Did you enjoy making Jalapeno Honey Corn Bread and Chili? Want to use spicy peppers in more recipes but need help? Visit the Sonoran Spice Blog for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas. Learn all there is to know about hot peppers, how to cure the hot pepper burn, and other pepper tips!