I was searching for something refreshing, something delicious, and something that made me feel at home, without going out. What was better than homemade salsa and tortilla chips? We’ve created a delicious salsa adding Sonoran Spice Ghost Pepper Powder, having an average of over 1 million Scoville Heat Units! Known to have a smoky yet sweet flavor, also giving that every so sneaky heat to your salsa. If you need to tame the heat be sure to add a side of Sour Cream or cup of Milk, the dairy will dissolve the capsaicin. This Ghost Pepper Salsa recipe is easy and can be made in about 10 minutes! Homemade tortilla chips have a crispy, crunch, and will add that special home touch to this already unforgettable snack.
Ghost Pepper Salsa and Homemade Tortilla Chips
Ingredients for Tortilla Chips
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 pinch Salt
Ingredients for Ghost Pepper Salsa
- 1/4 cup Minced Red Onion
- 1 cup Diced Tomato
- 3 Tbsp Diced Jalapeno
- 2 Tbsp Minced Cilantro
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 pinch Sonoran Spice Ghost Pepper Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Sugar
Instructions for Tortilla Chips
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder into a medium-sized bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well-combined. Make a hole in the center, and add the oil and water. Stir from the bottom up until the dough comes together and can form into a ball.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes with the palm of your hands, until the dough feels elastic and smooth.
- Divide into 8 equal portions. Flatten each ball with your hand, lightly dust with flour, and cover with kitchen towel to rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, lightly flour a work surface and roll each dough into a circle about 6 inches in diameter using a rolling pin or hands. Preheat a non-stick pan over low heat.
- When the pan is hot, place one dough into the pan and allow it to cook for 30-40 seconds or until the dough is bubbly and had brown spots. Flip and cook the other side for 10 seconds. (tortillas should be soft and not hard, if they harden they ahve been cooked for too long.)
- Preheat a second pan with oil over medium heat. Cut cooked tortillas into 8 triangle wedges. Deep fry tortillas for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and cripsy.
Ghost Pepper Salsa
- Mixed together all diced vegatbles and lime juice into a small bowl.
- Add all spices into mixed vegatbles, and mix.
- Top with some Cilantro for color and enjoy with warm tortilla chips!
While chips and salsa are always a good snack we recommend pairing with Sonoran Spice Habanero Butter Shrimp Tacos! The refreshing flavors of the spicy habanero shrimp and cool vegetables add a fun spin on taco Tuesday. Looking for other spicy recipes? We have you covered from appetizers to entrees, there is something for every pepper head and their curiosity of spice and heat!