Jalapeno peppers are one of the best known. They are eaten regularly in Mexican dishes and also exist in the form of pickles or fresh in supermarkets. The flakes version is super interesting because you add exactly the quantity you want. For this crispy chicken, this is the perfect shape. It can be added to the breadcrumbs without having large pieces. It remains present in the taste with a perfect texture.
Homemade mayonnaise is also very important for the balance! Have you ever tried making homemade mayonnaise? If you don’t, don’t worry, it’s very simple to do and it doesn’t need a lot of ingredients. Homemade mayonnaise is so much better, they have more taste. This slightly spicy version is also original. I’m sure you will like it with other dishes!
Back to the chicken. You can do it in two ways, fry in oil or on the oven. Personally, I prefer the oven, it’s less fat and therefore healthier. Moreover, even in the oven, you can get a crispy texture. I always do it this way and it works very well!
What I like about this recipe is that it can be eaten in many ways. Either with friends, served with mayonnaise for an appetizer. It’s friendly and you’re sure everyone will like it. Either in a lunchbox for your kids with salad and fruits but also at home with some vegetables. Feel free to add more Jalapeño flakes if you like when it’s very spicy.
Spicy Crispy Chicken and Spicy Mayo
- 3 Chicken breasts Cut into strips
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Jalapeno flakes
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Trinidad Scorpion powder
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 400°F. Prepare a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Take the egg for the mayonnaise out of the fridge, it must be at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix the Jalapeño flakes with the breadcrumb and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg.
- Place the chicken pieces in the egg then in the breadcrumb, when they are totally covered with the breadcrumb, place them on the baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until they are crispy and lightly brown on the outside.
- During this time, prepare your homemade mayonnaise.
- Start by mixing the egg yolk with salt, pepper, Chipotle powder, mustard, and vinegar. Wisk and add gradually the oil.
- The mayonnaise should gradually thicken. It can take 5 to 10 minutes. When it is very thick and has a beautiful consistency, it’s ready!